Fall is quickly approaching. Leaves are turning, colors are vibrating, and people are baking. Personally, my favorite fall treat is a warm slice of pumpkin pie. However, my soon-to-be life partner is under the false pretense that pumpkins are gross; so, he REFUSES to eat pumpkin ANYTHING. This is a huge disappointment to me who basically only metabolizes pumpkins this time of year. Zach would rather partake in apple pie. Don’t get me wrong apple pie is great, smells of heaven, and warms the gut in a comforting way, but it’s not Pumpkin Pie .
This got me thinking: marriage is all about compromise, so let’s get a jump on this whole compromising business by creating the ultimate fall hybrid dessert! I give you….The Pumple Pie!!!
A warm concoction of everything that’s great about Autumn.
• Flax Seed Eggs (blended 2 tbsp flax seed with 6 tbsp water)
• ½ can of Pumpkin Puree
• 1 Cup of Almond Milk
• 2 Apples Diced
• ½ Cup Applesauce
• Cashew Cream
o ½ cup soaked cashews
o ½ tsp cinnamon
o ½ tsp ground cloves
o 1 tsp vanilla extract
o 3 tbsp cold water
Toasted Walnut Topping
• 3 tbsp chopped Walnuts
• ½ tsp olive oil
• ½ tbsp. raw honey
• 4 semi sweets
1. Put dry ingredients (oats, flour, salt, cinnamon) in a food processor and process until resembles powder
2. Add wet ingredients (olive oil, butter, cold water) to the food processor and process until a doughy batter forms
3. Grease a 8.5 diameter pie tin
4. Spread batter into pie tin and flatten. Create a crust by pressing batter about ½ up side of pie tin
5. Poke holes into the bottom of crust with a fork
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, until flaky
7. Set aside
1. Make cashew cream by blending ingredients in food processor until smooth and creamy. Set aside
2. Combine ingredients in food processor (Cashew Cream, applesauce, diced apples, pumpkin, flax seed egg) and blend until smooth (about 3 minutes).
3. Pour filling into pie crust and bake at 370 degrees for 50 minutes
Toasted Walnut Topping
1. In a small bowl stir walnuts, honey, and olive oil.
2. Bake on a cookie tray with pie for 10 minutes
3. When warmed stir with semi sweets until chocolate is melted.
4. Place on top of pie once it’s baked completely.
I’d like to add that when I asked my guy for help with this recipe, he decided to help with photography. He’s seen my previous photos, so I thought he’d get the gist of my photo style. While I’m furiously baking, at one point, I turn around and see this….